If you live, work, own property, or attend an educational institution in the City of Vaughan, you qualify for free membership. If you live, work, own property, or attend an educational institution in a York Region municipality, Brampton or Town of Caledon, you may qualify for a free library card. In all cases, presentation of valid identification is required. Membership for those who do not qualify is available for an annual fee of $80.00 plus HST.
People not wishing to borrow materials and not eligible to become a member of VPL may obtain a non-member library card to utilize public computer workstations and printers for an annual fee of $10.00 plus HST.
Complete the online application to receive your membership and a confirmation email. Eligibility criteria must be met. Visit any VPL Location with acceptable ID for full borrowing privileges. Apply now.
Apply in Person
You may visit any VPL Location to apply for membership.
You must apply in person at any VPL branch if you do not qualify for free membership.
Children under the age of 13 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian to obtain a VPL Library Card.
You can renew your library card in person at any VPL Location with valid identification. An annual membership fee applies for renewal of non-resident or non-member library cards. All fines and fees must be paid in full prior to membership being renewed.
Whether you register online or in person, you will need to bring identification with you to obtain a VPL Library Card. Staff will ask you for identification that shows your name and home address. You will also need a piece of identification that demonstrates one of the membership criteria below. It can be the same identification that has your name and home address.
- current home address in the City of Vaughan (driver’s license, utility bill - telephone, hydro, cable);
- employment in the City of Vaughan (pay stub);
- registration at a school or college in the City of Vaughan (report card or valid student ID);
- title/deed for land owned in the City of Vaughan;
- one or more of the above from a York Region municipality, Brampton or Town of Caledon.
PIN (Personal Identification Number)
A PIN is necessary to access your library account online, access databases and digital resources. You can set up your PIN at any VPL branch, or select your PIN when you apply online. Please remember this number.
If you forget your PIN,
- You may visit a VPL Location in person and staff will reset your PIN (valid identification or library card are required).
- You may use the Forgot Your PIN link on the Forgot your PIN to reset your PIN.
You may also change your PIN at any time via your online login, the VPL App or by visiting any VPL Location. VPL text notification subscribers, will need to alert the text provider of the changed PIN by texting NEWPASS to 647-694-1289.